Silicone rubber keypads have become an increasingly popular alternative to traditional plastic keypads. All keypads are designed to act as an electrical switch, though their specific keys varies depending on how they are design. With that said, not all keypads are made of the same material. Some are made of hard plastic, whereas others are made of soft silicone rubber.
What Is a Silicone Rubber Keypad?
Also known as an elastomeric keypad, a silicone rubber keypad is a type of electrical switch made of a soft silicone rubber material. Silicone rubber, of course, is a unique material with some truly remarkable characteristics. It’s soft and flexible, yet it’s also strong and durable. As a result, it’s often preferred for keypads over other materials like hard plastic. Whether you are looking to buy a single keypad or 100 keypads, you can’t go wrong with silicone rubber.
5 Reasons to Choose a Silicone Rubber Keypad
If you’re still skeptical of silicone rubber keypads, you might be surprised to learn that they offer a wide variety of benefits, including the following:
- Waterproof: You don’t have to worry about water damaging a silicone rubber keypad. Silicone rubber is naturally waterproof, meaning it will protect the keypad’s underlying circuitry from potentially catastrophic water damage.
- Backlighting: Silicone rubber keypads also support backlighting. While not required when designing a silicone rubber keypad, backlighting can enhance the keypad’s performance and user satisfaction, making it a smart investment for businesses.
- Laser-Etched Graphics: Depending on the manufacturer whom you choose to make your silicone rubber keypad, it may support laser-etched graphics. Here at Nelson-Miller, for example, you can order silicone rubber keypads with custom laser-etched graphics.
- Tactile Feedback: You may discover that some silicone rubber keypads produce natural tactile feedback. A high snap ratio means the silicone rubber keypad produces significant tactile feedback.
- Cost Effective: Finally, silicone rubber keypads are a cost-effective solution for businesses. Because they are made of inexpensive silicone rubber material, they tend to cost less than keypads made of other, more expensive materials. As a result, you can acquire them for your business without spending a fortune.
Silicone rubber keypads function the same as other keypads, but they are often preferred because of their unique benefits. As revealed above, silicone rubber keypads are waterproof, support backlighting, support laser-etched graphics, produce tactile feedback and are cost effective. For these reasons and others, many businesses choose silicone rubber keypads for their operations.