Light-emitting diode (LED) is one of the world’s most popular lighting technologies. Found in backlights for TVs, smartphones, human machine interfaces (HMIs), tablet computers and other display devices, it’s characterized by the use of many small LED bulbs. The unique design of LEDs makes them highly efficient. According to some reports, a typical LED bulb uses about one-tenth the energy of an incandescent lamp. Aside from being energy efficient, though, LEDs are also known for producing little or no heat.
LEDs Don’t Produce IR Heat
With the exception of special infrared (IR) LEDs, LEDs don’t produce heat from IR light. This is in stark contrast to incandescent bulbs, which do produce heat from IR light. In a device with an incandescent bulb (or bulbs), IR heats the internal compartment in which the bulb is enclosed. Not only does this shorten the lifespan of the device, but it also creates a fire hazard. LEDs typically don’t produce IR light, though, so this isn’t a problem.
LEDs Produce Minor Heat From Electricity
Although they don’t produce heat from IR light, LEDs still produce some heat from electricity. As electricity flows to the LED bulb, it creates heat. With that said, the heat produced by LEDs is significantly less than that of an incandescent bulb. LED bulbs are often cool to the touch, even after hours of continuous usage.
Other Benefits of LEDs
In addition to producing less heat than incandescent bulbs, LEDs offer several other benefits. As previously stated, LED bulbs are more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs. They generally cost more incandescent bulbs, but they offer cost-savings in the long run by consuming less energy. The problem with incandescent bulbs is that only about 10% of the energy they consume is used to create light. The remaining 90% is simply wasted, thereby forcing them to consume more energy to produce visible light. For homeowners and business owners looking to save money, switching from incandescent to LED is a smart choice.
LEDs are also stronger and more durable than incandescent bulbs. When used as a backlight for a display device, LED bulbs are less likely to break than their incandescent counterparts. These are just a few benefits of LEDs. If you’re interested in buying a display device that uses a backlight, consider choosing an LED-backlit device. It produces less heat, consumes less energy and is stronger than other types of backlights, making it an ideal choice.